Philip is an experienced Criminal Barrister with extensive involvement across a wide range of criminal trials, appeals and related civil hearings. He is a former Crown Prosecutor with over 35 years' of experience.
Phil is recognised for his expertise in a number of important areas including sex crimes, child abuse and homicides, expert evidence cases, appeals, pornography and computer-internet crime. He has appeared in a number of significant trials including murder, attempted murder, serious assaults, drugs, fraud and sex crimes.
Phil is an expert in defending his clients at trial, advising them on practical options in relation to each step in the process, engaging a range of experts to assist in their defence, and dealing with the many issues that arise when appearing in Court as a defendant.
Phil is able to take instructions privately and is an approved criminal legal aid provider.
- BA (majoring in Psychology) – University of Auckland
- LLB (Hons) – University of Auckland
- MJur (Distinction) – University of Auckland
- Admitted as a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand (1982)
- Admitted as a solicitor in Queensland and Victoria (Australia) (1984)
Areas of Practice
- Sexual violation by rape
- Indecent assault
- Unlawful sexual connection
- Possession/distribution/making of objectionable material
- Historic sexual offences
- Threaten to kill or cause GBH
- Aggravated robbery
- Male Assault Female
- Breach of Protection Order
- Threatening behavior
- Manufacturing, possession, and supply (class A, B and C)
- Importation (class A, B and C)
- Careless driving causing injury/death
- Drinking and driving
- Driving under the influence
- Careless or reckless driving
- Failing to stop
- Driving without a licence
- Driving while disqualified
- Limited licences
- Appeal against conviction
- Appeal against Sentence
- Fresh Evidence appeal
- Royal Prerogative of Mercy Application
- Application for parole (first or subsequent)
- Section 26 application for parole
- Application to vary ESO conditions
- Appeals against ESO
Use the form below to contact us regarding your legal enquiry. Please be as detailed as possible. Include your any specific document in your possession. You may also email or call us to make an appointment.